Friday, January 2, 2009

Daily Keemo 01.02.09




A Nineteen Year Walk

Click


It is the classic beginning of the classic coming of age story. I was 18 and just finished high school and couldn't leave that small town fast enough and I knew that there was this whole new world out there waiting for me to run around and make all kinds of mistakes in. The day before I left to go out West, we went for a walk through a neighborhood park, and I could tell that I was hurting her alot by leaving the way that I was. I could also tell that she knew she had to let her son go and find out what things were about. My memory of that day was one of beauty. I can still see the big huge Michigan trees dropping leaves around us as we walked. The light was perfect and so was the world for the first time in a long time. Her memory of that day was one of sadness and regret. Over Christmas as we talked and shared stories, she brought up that day walking through the park. She was still sad and had feelings of regret. "I knew that you were going to struggle down the path you were choosing," she said. Looking back I know that it was the path that was necessary and that I was letting the destination choose the path and not the other way around. (there is a difference.) I suppose I think often of that walk in the park and remind myself that I am still on that path and I have not yet arrived at the destination. I guess I am still just walking in the park and yes, she is still walking there with me... Enjoy!



www.KeemoGallery.com

Stay Updated! Get the Keemo Newsletter

No comments: