Thursday, December 18, 2008

Daily Keemo 12.18 - Botched Interview



She Kept Wanting Me To Think Like Her About My Art
9" x 12" x 1.5" - Acrylic and Ink on Canvas



Click

The lady who was interviewing me said thought that most traditional galleries would never take on my work because it relies too much on the words to complete the piece of artwork. I couldn't think of anything else to say, so I said, “I think it is because I'm not a very good painter.” trying to joke my way out of going through this conversation again. “I don't think that is true. I just think the words can interfere with the viewing experience.” She said. “Well, I'm not worried too much about the galleries. If I was to write a list of reasons why I paint day in and day out, you would not find the words, “Get Into A Gallery” anywhere on that list.” I replied. There was an awkward silence. This conversation always ends up this way. I never get why some people have such a hard time with the words. “I guess I like to think that I am not just making a painting. I hope it is more than that. I hope that it all helps create a relationship with the viewer, the subject and myself.” “ Do you think it works?” she asked. This went on for another 10 minutes or so and we weren't getting anywhere and I could tell she was not happy with how this was going and after we hung up the phone I sat quietly for a minute and thought again why I am doing all this with the paints and the words and long hours and the tired mornings and realized I should probably get back to the paints and finish this painting and just keep doing what I do.... Enjoy!

(Note: I never did hear from her again and the interview never got published.)

www.KeemoGallery.com
Stay Updated! Get the Keemo Newsletter

No comments: