Tuesday, April 29, 2008

Daily Keemo 04.29

Examination of Nirvana
(An Open Letter To All Who Ask Me Why I Only Paint People)
Click



I should start by clarifying that this is not talking about Kurt Cobain's Nirvana. I'm sure that much is obvious but I thought I should clarify. I should also clarify that I am no buddhist scholar either. I suppose I may be more of the "use-the-pages-in-a-painting" sort of religious scholar. I have read many religious books when I was going through my "learn-about-many-different-religions-to-try-and-figure-out-what-we-are-all-here-for-and-why-we-exist" stage of life. It is not that I have stopped asking those questions, it is just that I keep finding answers to those questions everywhere, but those books. I am asked weekly, sometimes more, why I only paint people. Why not paint a landscape, a car, a golfer, something more expressionistic? It is because the answers I find to most of my questions come from the people you see in these paintings. The strangers, the friends, the families, the memories, the thoughts. In turn, I hope that when we look at these and read the stories that somehow we see a bit of ourselves in these abstract faces and the stories show us all something more of ourselves. Now, that sounds loftier than it is intended. If something positive comes of these portraits, even a smile, then it is complete. I suppose I will title this "An Open Letter To All Who Ask Me Why I Only Paint People". It is not only people, it is the Examination of Nirvana. And how we all fit into it....Enjoy!


Subscribe to the Keemo Feed

www.KeemoGallery.com

Stay Updated! Get the Keemo Newsletter

No comments: