Sunday, March 29, 2009

Daily Keemo. 3.29. I Suppose I Could Enjoy That, If I Was Poor.



"I Suppose I Could Enjoy That, If I Was Poor"(and other things to say to further distance yourself from reality)
Click

I found myself sitting in the waiting room at the dentist today for an hour and half. I will skip all the stuff about why I was there because it really isn't important to the story. While waiting for so long I skimmed through magazine after magazine partially reading headlines and skimming through articles until I came across an article about the changes that the art world is going through now that people are spending less money on artwork. The article focused on the "serious" artworld in New York and Los Angeles and dropped names of famous living artists and talked about how just like other areas of investment, the artworld has been a little over inflated as well. One art patron was quoted as saying the following after viewing a painting priced at $150,000. "I suppose I could enjoy that, if I was poor." Anyway, I am getting a little off track here. All the artwork that they were showing and talking about where these over sized "important" pieces of art. It all made me a bit ill to be honest. I enjoy art. Art of all kinds. However, the idea of "importance" throws me a bit. As I sat there, I thought back the stack of small paintings back on my desk and the thousands of paintings sent out to mailboxes around the world and I couldn't help think that what I deemed as "important" and what the art critics deemed as "important" are two completely different things all together. I kept on daydreaming after I finished the article and put the magazine down and I told myself that when I got home that I was going to sit down and make a simple painting, with simple colors and no pretention and just be who I am and just make the artwork that I make and not worry about what is "important" or not. For me, art is about something completely different and when it gets down to it, there is only one person who can decide what art actually is... And that is you...Enjoy!

www.KeemoGallery.com
Stay Updated! Get the Keemo Newsletter

No comments: